Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Wrap-Up

(Okay, I'm cheating. It's really February 3rd right now, but I wanted to post this. So I backlogged it. I suppose I could have posted it whilst in the hospital over New Years' but you know... baby and stuff.)

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

Did a stint as a stay-at-home mom. Very interesting.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


I don't remember making any, but I did resolve this year to be kinder and gentler to people in thought, word and deed. So far it's been a good mindset to remember.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes! Jen and I both gave birth to beautiful baby girls, and we are waiting on Finn and Baby M (both of unknown gender) to make their appearances this spring. Sharing pregnancy with a girlfriend is an amazing and wonderful thing.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, I don't think so. It was a good year in that respect.

5. What countries did you visit?

Unfortunately, no international travel this year. Mom and Sis went to Ireland, though!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

A really awesome triathlon season. Boy did I ever miss training and competing -- more than I ever thought I would.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

January: girls' weekend in Chicago w/Kate & Sooz, saw Buddy Guy in concert

Mother's Day: found out I was pregnant

July 2nd: met John Mayer in person (Milwaukee Summerfest show)
July 3rd: St. Louis JM show
July 17-21st: Girls' weekend in Chicago w/the JM girls; JM Chicago show on the 18th.
August 30-31: Final two JM shows in Florida, road-tripping with Jen

September 8: The Girl's first day of school!

December 17: took a big fall on the ice on my way to school. (I'll tell this story later.)

December 29-30: induction and birth of Baby Bean.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Honestly? 2008 was a real year of transition for me. I think I had a lot of achievements, from massive improvement of my grades, to coming to terms with my parents' divorce and my relationship with my father, to finally getting the family on a budget so we could live without my part time job.

I also feel like my second birth experience vindicated my first, even though it turned out nothing like I thought it would.

9. What was your biggest failure?


Keeping the house decluttered. Honestly...I have laundry and general cleaning down pat. Clutter...just keeps growing like kudzu around here.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Pregnancy is not an illness...but I did have my fair share of ups and downs with this one, including dizzy flashes and serious exhaustion. I took a fall about two weeks before the Bean was born and I don't think I've ever experienced that much consistent pain in my life.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets and concert tickets for five (FIVE!) JM summer tour shows.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

The MN voter recount committee. They are doing a hell of a job in deciding the Senate race between Coleman and Franken. Here's to the process at work!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?


Sadly, the same as last year: the Bush administration. Thank GOD they are gone and we can get back to the real work of America.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Target! (No really... Target, summer tour travel and probably hospital bills, once they start rolling in.)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Meeting John Mayer and traveling/meeting new friends. My friends are easily the best benefit of being a JM fan.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?


"Gravity" by Sara Barielles. For many, many reasons.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Much happier.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same, which is miraculous considering I was pregnant. Be gone, baby weight!
c) richer or poorer? About the same. Probably slightly richer, although that's more likely due to gas prices returning to normal than anything else...

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Things with the Girl during the summertime. We're going to have to make a concerted effort to get out of the house more when school is out, even with the baby.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Complain, argue and feel sorry for myself. Life's too short.

20. How did you spend Christmas? On the couch, almost immobile and recovering from finals. Also preparing for the baby's arrival.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?


Absolutely and without question.

22. What was your favorite TV program?


Weeds! We Netflix'ed the first 3 seasons and hello! Awesome!

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Hate is a strong word. I don't hate anyone. I did lose a friend this year, to a stupid and petty argument. I want to make amends, but need to figure out how.

24. What was the best book you read?


Hmmm... didn't get to read much this year, but I'll bite and say "Shadow Cities." Any book that mentions flying toilets gets a big thumbs up!


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?


Matt Nathanson! (Thanks, Jen!) Possibly re-discovering Jim Croce. Pandora overall rocks pretty hard. And Keri Noble is amazing.

26. What did you want and get?

A healthy baby, a lot of John Mayer, and a new car. (Heinrich!)

27. What did you want and not get?
To do a triathlon and get more in shape.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I don't know if I had one! I saw a lot of movies -- mostly of the kid variety, though.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?


Went to Red Robin and had a bowling party!! (I was 31.)

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Dean's List and a scholarship.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Clearance rack at Motherhood Maternity!

32. What kept you sane?


My counselor, and having a Summer of Awesome. I needed the time and the perspective, and it made everything so, so much better.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?


A-duh. And I got to meet him this year too!!

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Equality in marriage. For everyone.

35. Who did you miss?
Jordana.

36. Who was the best new person you met? Can I have more than one? The JM Chicago girls! (Jen, Allison, Geneva, Linda, Amanda and Monica), and Cait and Mara. 2008 was fantastic for friend-making.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

It's NEVER too late to let go and start over. And you never know what form or shape that will take.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


Joey, baby - don't get crazy
Detours, fences, I get defensive
I know you've heard it all before, so I don't say it anymore
I just stand by and watch you fight your secret war.
Although I used to wonder why, I used to cry 'til I was dry.
Still sometimes I get a strange pain inside,
Oh, Joey, if you're hurting so am I.

Joey, honey - I got some money.
All is forgiven; listen, listen...
And if I seem to be confused, I didn't mean to be with you.
And when you said I scared you, well I guess you scared me too.
But we got lucky once before, and I don't wanna close the door;
And if you're somewhere out there passed out on the floor,
Oh Joey, I'm not angry anymore.

And if I seem to be confused, I didn't mean to be with you.
And when you said I scared you, well I guess you scared me too.
But if it's love you're looking for, then I can give a little more
And if you're somewhere drunk and passed out on the floor,
Oh, Joey I'm not angry anymore...angry anymore...

No comments: