Friday, December 12, 2008

Twelve Days Of Christmas Music (Give or Take)



Okay, I need a distraction. What with all the talk of babies and finals and OB appointments, I have had very little time this year to enjoy the season. I love Christmas music, of all stripes and kinds. (Save perhaps Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmastime?". Seriously people. It ranks lower than the Chipmunks Christmas Album.)

We don't have the tree up, we don't have an Advent calendar for the Girl, we don't even have the house cleaned or presents wrapped. We baked a few cookies, but that's about it.

We do have music. For the next twelve or so days, I will highlight a favorite Christmas song, and where possible, post an audio or Youtube of it. Of course, I'll intersperse the usual blog blatherings (bloggerings?) of life as I know it, and of course, baby news will be included. I went to the Concordia College choir concert at Orchestra Hall last night, and let me tell you something: those Lutherans know their Christmas music. It was just enough to kick my Catholic ass into gear and embrace the season. Damnit.

First up: a modern classic. Born of a Canadian collaboration, formed from two ancient carols heard in churches the world around. Set to a funky jazz-swing beat reminiscent of Django Reinhardt's "Minor Swing." Easily one of my favorite Christmas tunes. I present the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan, performing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings."

No comments: