Friday, November 23, 2007

Current Musical Obsession

Sometimes, a song from a few years ago comes back to move you in a way you never knew it could. I admit, I probably didn't pay proper attention to this one when it first came out (2-3 years ago?) but as I recently went Youtubing for Alicia Keys'new video, I found this gem:

Go listen. And watch. I'll wait. (I don't know how to do the insert-video-here-thingee).

Here are some lyrics (I omitted the spoken word portion, though it's definitely cool):

Baby, baby, baby, from the day I saw you,
I really, really wanted to catch your eye.
There's something special 'bout you; I must really like you,'cause not a lot of guys are worth my time.
Baby, baby, baby,it's gettin' kinda crazy, 'cause you are takin' over my mind.

And it feels like ooo...you don't know my name.
I swear...It feels like ooo...you don't know my name.
('Round and 'round and 'round we go. Will you ever know?)

Baby, baby, baby, I see us on our first date.
You doin' everything that makes me smile.
And when we had our first kiss, it happened on a Thursday,
and, it set my soul on fire.
Ooh, baby, baby, baby, I can't wait for the first time.
My imagination's runnin' wild...

It feels like ooo...you don't know my name.
And I swear it, baby, it feels like oooo...you don't know my name.
('Round and 'round and 'round we go. Will you ever know?)
Will you ever know?

I'm sayin' he don't even know what he's doin' to me.
Got me feelin all crazy inside.
I'm I'm feelin like...oh...I'm doin' more than I've ever done for anyone's attention.
Take notice of what's in front of you 'cause did i mention, you're 'bout to miss a good thing?
And you'll never know how good it feels to have all of my affection.

And it feels like ooo...But you don't know my name.
('Round and 'round and 'round we go. Will you ever know?)
And I swear on my mother and father, it feels like oooh...
(But you don't know my name. 'Round and 'round and 'round we go.)

Will you ever know?


As always, Alicia's playing and lyrics are masterful, and she just captures the essence of the song effortlessly. I get that this was probably a song that was "built" around the video-with such a literal interpretation, it couldn't be anything but an organic coexistence.

I've had this experience before...unrequited affection- where you crush on someone you know from afar, wishing like hell the other person could just figure out what's going on inside your head and heart. Sometimes all you can do is imagine picking up the phone, or sending that email, or saying something more than what you might otherwise.

Wishing for something you can't have makes you want it that much more. It also makes you wonder if what you do have is really worth keeping.

I'll keep what I've got- I don't need to worry about what Might Be or what Could Have Been.

But it is fun to imagine every now and again.

No comments: