Friday, November 16, 2007

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

"Say" was just leaked to Perez!!!!

I won't link it here, but go go go if you are a JM fan and listen, for goddess' sake, LISTEN!

Chillbumps on my spine. God, it is good to hear you, Johnny.

Take all of your wasted honor
Every little past frustration
Take all of your so-called problems
Better put them in quotations

Say what you need to say

Walking like a one-man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead if you could only

Say what you need to say

Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You better know that in the end, it's better to say too much than never to say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say


- Say, John Mayer

Overall, the song is a more mature acoustic sound- he's got the poet in him, and I think this comes from a different place in his mental archive- he said it was an "assignment" as a writer, whereas he usually writes from a more internal/visceral place. Written for the movie "The Bucket List" which is coming out at Christmas, I would guess he needed to capture the moment of the movie. It also matches some of the preliminary music I've heard in the movie trailer- the "ukelele" sounding music is mixed into this song. However, we've got lots of lovely JM acoustic. Definitely a JM tune, tempered by the limitations of the assignment. The poetry of the lyrics is all JM, and as always, it's eloquent and simply stated.

This is not post-Continuum John...but I'm okay with that. We, as his fans, don't know where his next musical direction will come from, and that's honestly part of what's best about JM- you never know what he'll do next. Frankly, I appreciate the diversity of his music. I was just listening to Go! (his collab with Common) this afternoon. Anyone who can go from hip-hop to Hendrix and back to acoustic cafe in the span of a couple years is a true musician in my book.

If the next album is acoustic, great. If it's electric, eclectic, poetic or all of the above, it's all good as long as it's honest, and as long as it's John.

I'm now off to memorize the lyrics...no doubt what will be on the iPod this weekend.

Edited to add:My best guess is that it will be the "closing credit song." And I hope like hell they add the video to the end of the movie, because my butt will be in the theatre until the very last note of this song. Point blank.

No comments: