Thursday, April 10, 2008

Training Log: 4/10/08

Swimming
Warmup: 100 Pull, 50 Kick
Main Set: 3x400 (45 RI)
Cooldown: 50 Breast

Total Yards:1400

Running
10 mins walking
Intervals - 5:2 x 2 (fast mile) 12:05
Total Distance: 2.5 miles


I went to the gym on Wednesday with my sister in law and did a fairly intense 30 minutes on the elliptical machine - then tried to up my intervals today. Bad news.

Oh right! We've been training for almost 4 solid weeks! Time to level off a bit and toss in a recovery week!

When I was running my "fast mile" yesterday, I could actually feel my upper body's weight. It's odd- I havent' felt the sensation of a really heavy front load since I was pregnant with the girl, but there it was yesterday on the treadmill. I think I really need to get my eating in shape - I've always had a really rough time losing weight, but I don't like the way my body felt yesterday.

In fact, I actually had the sensation of where I wanted my body to be (lithe, flatter, more toned) and it felt like I was wearing one of those expectant father's sympathy bellies or something. I could feel where I wanted my body to end.

I sometimes wonder whether I'm beating my head against a wall with all the training and working out, or if eventually, one of these days, something will change and I will maybe, just maybe, lose a little weight. I love the shape my legs have taken since I got back into the gym- I can feel the tone there and I know I'm stronger. Likewise, my arms are still chicken-wingy but I feel stronger, and the ache I feel after 1200 well-paced yards in the pool is a satisfying one.

I eat pretty well, most of the time. I don't play games with the number on the scale - I can tell myself everything I want about the number not mattering, and about muscles being denser than fat, and all the other things you tell yourself. Point is, if I want to be a better athlete I have to continue to train, and I'll get more out of my training if I fuel the machine properly.

Farmer's market opens in two weeks and I.CAN.NOT.WAIT.

No comments: