Friday, December 7, 2007

Holiday Goodies

NB: If you are here from Holidailies, please leave me a comment...I don't have a site tracker and love feedback.

Two quick notes before I proceed to today's writing prompt:



Congratulations to JM. Nominated for a GRAMMY award for Best Male Pop Vocal - Belief. The thing I love about this is that, not only is it a great song, and one of my favorites...but this particular version comes from a little album called "The Village Sessions" which JM put out very quietly last year. BMPV seems to be John's category- he's won three of his five Grammys in this category, and this year he's up against people he's been up against (and won against) before. This version of Belief is quite different from the Continuum version. JM can go to the studio, record for a day, put out an EP, and get a Grammy nod...just a walk in the park for this guy. Tremendous honor, tremendous talent.

Second: My exam is in 32 hours. Send good vibes toward Minnesota, for me and the lovely friends I wrote about yesterday. We need them.

Now, on to the writing prompt!

Write your own version of those holiday newsletters that people send to friends and relatives at this time of year.

Dear Everyone,

The move went well and the house finally sold, so we are settled into life in Minnesota. I suppose grousing about the abundance of early snow is uncalled for, as I hear that our old hometown got it just as badly as we did here. C'est la vie.

I started law school this past August- a dream of mine since high school. I am here only because of the unending support of my husband and family. I've made tremendous new friends and am slowly wrapping my head around the fact that I really am in law school. (As if the 40 pound backpack weren't evidence enough).

The boy has found a job he loves at BigCorp, Inc. He's been contracting but a permanent offer is on its way, we're assured, by Christmas.

The girl is in her final year of preschool and we are looking into schools for her- so far we've narrowed it down to a local magnet school, St. Swithen's, and Expensive Progressive School. Of these, EPS is our favorite, but it's also the most costly, so we're working on a budget for that, and praying they'll take my own school situation into consideration when awarding financial aid.

I don't know how you write about this sort of thing in a Christmas letter...but my parents are getting divorced after 33 years of marriage. In a lot of ways, it's a good thing, but it's still a shock to the system, so I guess that's all I'll say about that for now.

Some of this year's highlights beyond the big move included attending my first John Mayer concert, completing three triathlons (including traveling to Austin for one!) and assisting my tri coach with a few clinics. He says I have the talent to become a coach, and I'm still contemplating that.

We hope this letter finds you all healthy and safe, and you have our best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a great New Year!

Love and Blessings,

Kate and Family

I was going to try and bring the snark, but I just don't have it in me right now. Talk to me after finals are done...

1 comment:

Frank said...

Good luck with finals!