Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why I'm In Law School

For all its faults and stress and foibles and theory, I have a number of reasons why I chose to study law. Certainly some of it is gut instinct; law seems to be the most flexible of professional degrees, and certainly useful in any arena.

People in my class claim a multitude of reasons for going through this three-to-four year exercise, comprised equal parts of panic, confusion, boredom, stress, academic challenge, misery and elation. Law school gives you the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows.

As I sat in the library this morning, printing cases for my outline defense meeting (and where else should I be at 7AM on a Sunday morning, besides at the start line of a triathlon, I ask you??) I noticed the quote on the back of my Starbucks cup. It did a fairly good job of encapsulating one of the main reasons for putting myself through the mental boot camp of law school:

The law, for all its failings, has a noble goal- to make the little bit of life that people can actually control more just. We can't end disease or natural disasters, but we can devise rules for our dealings with one another that fairly weigh the rights and needs of everyone, and which, therefore, reflect our best vision of ourselves.

- Scott Turow

No comments: