Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My First Blogiversary

A year ago today, on a Sunday afternoon in the student lounge, mostly on a whim, I started this blog. I was sitting roughly where I am now (back table near the SBA office), and wondering if the third time would really be the charm.

I'll have to get back to you on that. So far, so good.

This year has been a rollercoaster. I doubt that many people survive their first year of law school without describing it that way.

When we moved here, I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Sure, I knew law school would be tough, that it would break me down intellectually and reshape my thinking, that it would be wonderful and horrible and the hardest academic work I'd ever done in my life, and that I would probably hate it (because everybody does) and love it (because everybody does) all at the same time.

All of the above is true. Plus more:

I found out that my gut instinct regarding friends was absolutely true. The five people I consider my closest friends are funny, amazing, joyous, bawdy, and in the exact same boat as I am. We've done everything together this past year, from studying to drinking, to boating on the river, to the State Fair, to celebrating landmarks.

I found out that school broke me down mentally as well as intellectually. I was broken my first semester, and it almost cost me everything. My grades suffered, I was depressed, and though I put on a good front for both myself and my friends, I knew deep down that it was as close to the edge as I ever wanted to be, and there was a strong wind blowing which could knock me over without warning. Thank God I figured out how to send up smoke signals and get the help I needed. Lord knows where I'd be without it.

I found out that my body *still* does not react well to changing birth control methods. The last time I did that was around six years ago, and the result of that change now rides a yellow school bus to kindergarten every day. I'll meet the result of this last change sometime after finals, and hopefully before New Year's.

I found out that a Summer of Awesome is just the remedy for a first year like mine.

I found out that things aren't always the way they seem.

I found out that I should give my husband more credit where it's due.

I found out that Craigslist is the ONLY way to go to sell a used car.

Mostly I found out that I'm the only one who can light a fire under my own ass, and it's got to be constantly tended and stoked if I want to accomplish anything.

Here's what I wrote last year, and I think it's apropos that I update it.

I'm a first year law student, or "1L." I live in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. I recently relocated here from another part of the Midwest, specifically to attend law school.

I am now a 2L, still living in the Twin Cities. It's looking more and more like we'll settle here after graduation. I'm okay with that.

I'm a wife. Happily married to my high school sweetheart, going on 8 1/2 years. To say it's been unadulterated bliss would be a big ass lie- no marriage is perfect. However, we love each other, we communicate, and we are very happy. He provides, he's a great father, he's my best friend. I can't imagine my life without him.

Still true. Our tenth (!) anniversary is next May. We'll have two kids, half a legal education and an amazing ride under our belts by then, and I hope like hell we're aging like good whiskey.

I'm a mother. We have a beautiful blonde-haired, blue-eyed, sassy-mouthed, loud-laughing, fast-running, ticklish-tummied, soon-to-be-five-year-old daughter. She puts the color inside of our world.

The Girl is now nearly six, and a kindergartener. She's looking forward to being a big sister to V2.0 come winter.

I'm a huge John Mayer fan...you may find my posts sprinkled with lyrics and references to JM and his various influences...and I make no apologies.

This year I got to meet John in person, and I saw him in concert five times this summer. I still make no apologies.

I am a triathlete. I am heading into my third season, and hopefully can talk a little about that. I am seriously hoping that I can fit some training time into my schedule.

If you see a very pregnant woman in a trisuit at the campus pool, that's me. I had to put my season on hold this year and I am looking forward to getting back into the groove this coming spring. I also hope the exercise-induced endorphins will help get me over the post-partum depression I fear might set in.

As of right now, life is good. The rock candy has melted...only diamonds now remain. I need to remember that.

No, I'm not the same girl I used to be lately -- see, you met me at an interesting time. I'm still on the lookout for clarity, but if this year has taught me anything, it's to be even more vigilant against gravity.

I don't know how many people actually read my blog, but for those of you that do, thanks.

No comments: